Thursday 9 May 2013

Tall Ship's Official Seal

This is the Official Seal of the tall ship Mercedes, a brig on which I had the honour to sail at Easter.


When I say 'sail' I mean I sat there as excited as a ship's dog and they did all the rope work and sailing, then we went back to port and had lunch there as it was too fresh to try that on the waves.  I had fish - what else would you eat at sea. 

Mr Raft, who likes roller coasters, was standing on the prow so he could ride the waves outward. I stuck to the midship, me hearties, and watched the land because the potential for seasickness is obvious in us wet-bobs. The journey home was serene as we were running smoothly with the waves under the silence of the sails. 

I can't say that I will ever be a sea sailor but I do love to look at tall ships - doesn't everyone?  The good news is that in late summer 2014 there will be a tall ships regatta in Falmouth where they hope to assemble a world-class fleet of the most beautiful vessels ever built by man. (*).

Here's a video of Mercedes under sail



(*) Concorde is the most beautiful craft ever built by man if you include flying.


Update 15 May 2013

Dates for the Tall Ships Regatta 2014 have been confirmed.   There will be three days of festivities from August 28 and the race will be on 31 August.

Everybody will be able to enjoy the spectacle of  a fleet of up to 50 tall ships coming in to harbour, where the public will be able to see round some of them.  The ships will race from Falmouth to Wight. 

H/T The Falmouth Packet

Racing coordinated by Sail Training International

Twitter updates from Falmouth Tallships Association

6 comments:

Barnacle Bill said...

Lovely video.
Although from a sailor's point of view she looks over rigged with those lower & upper topgallants, but I suppose that's what you get with a "tall" ship nowadays.
Yes going to sea and letting others do all the hard work is the best kind of sailing.
Glad the Family Raft enjoyed themselves.

MTG said...

Pure magic. And as close as one can be to der fliegende Holländer, Ms Raft.

JuliaM said...

"When I say 'sail' I mean I sat there as excited as a ship's dog and they did all the rope work and sailing..."

Fancy! That's just how I do DIY.. ;)

Woman on a Raft said...

I was wondering about the sails, Bill, but they seemed very proud of the acreage of canvas, 900 sqm, they could put up. The specification is here:

http://www.easternyachts.com/mercedes/sails.htm

It was indeed magical MTG, especially when they turned off the engine and let the sails breathe.

Thinking about it, JuliaM, I'd like to go on a daysail where they show you the ropes. Perhaps I'll get a chance later in the year.

Dick the Prick said...

The raft abandoned for a more speedy vessel, eh? I'm not too sure i'd want to learn how to sail properly for fear of mistakes and addiction - best leave it to those who've had the calling. The Falmouth thing sounds most enticing.

WV: ervvent rocks!

Sounds perillous!

Weekend Yachtsman said...

"Concorde is the most beautiful craft ever built by man"

No!

That prize must surely go to Tuiga or Adventuress or Solway Maid or Kentra or even Jolie Brise.